Placing plants in your home can do wonders by enlivening your spaces and giving them a cozy feel.
But a medical professional has warned parents that some of these plants could pose a danger to their children.
Casey from baby and first aid site CPR Kids warned parents to keep certain types of greenery out of the reach of their children as they could be poisonous.
From skin irritation to breathing difficulties and vomiting, these pretty shoots can cause a range of nasty symptoms depending on your child’s exposure to them, the medic said.
And there’s a good chance you already have one at home, as they’re readily available at many plant stores.
“We’re not saying you need to get rid of those plant babies, just make sure they’re out of the reach of little hands,” Casey noted.
She added that some could also be toxic to your pets, before naming five plants best to be vigilant about.
The medic assigned each a toxicity rating, either Category 2 or Category 3—or both in some cases.
Explaining what each one meant, Casey said Category 2 meant a plant was “potentially toxic depending on the level of exposure.”
Anything at that level “should not be grown in preschools, playgrounds, and childcare facilities, and access should be restricted in homes with infants or young children,” she continued.
Casey noted that this includes homes that young children might visit, such as their grandparents’.
“Parents and carers should monitor carefully,” the medic added.
Category 3 plants, on the other hand, can irritate your little one’s skin and eyes due to their sap, spines, spines, or stinging hairs.
“Keep out of the reach of toddlers and children,” Casey warned, adding that for many common prickly or prickly plants there are now non-prickly varieties.
1. Dumbcane (Dieffenbanchia)
In a video on the CPR Kids site, Casey was the first plant to mention that it might be poisonous to your kids, namely the dumbcane.
She gave him a toxicity category of 2.3.
“When the leaves are chewed, there is profuse salivation and an intense burning sensation, followed by swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue and throat,” the doctor explained.
“This causes difficulty breathing and swallowing and immobilizes the tongue, leaving the person speechless,” which Casey said could last for several days.
It’s not just chewing the leaves of the dumb stick that parents should be concerned about.
Handling the plant can also cause skin irritation.
2. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
The second plant that Casey drew attention to was the peace lily.
“When eaten, this plant can cause a tingling or burning sensation, followed by swelling of the lips, mouth, and tongue.
“Contact dermatitis can also occur in sensitive individuals,” she added, giving it a toxicity category of 2.3.
contact dermatitis According to the NHS, it’s a type of eczema that’s triggered by exposure to a specific substance and usually resolves once the substance causing the problem is identified and avoided.
It causes the skin to become itchy, blistered, dry, and cracked.
While lighter skin can turn red, darker skin can turn dark brown, purple, or gray.
This reaction usually occurs within a few hours or days after exposure to an irritant or allergen.
3. Pothos (Epipremnum)
It is fairly common to have a pot of pothos at home.
However, the pediatric first-aid expert warned that “all parts of the plant contain needle-like calcium oxalate crystals which, when chewed or eaten, can cause immediate pain or a burning and swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue and throat.”
Its juice can also cause contact dermatitis and eye irritation.
Casey gave the plant a toxicity category of 2.3.
4. Zanzibar Jewel (Zamioculas zamiifolia)
“All parts of the plant are poisonous,” Casey warned parents.
Parents should keep Zanzibar gems away for their little explorers, as chewing or swallowing them “can cause immediate pain or a burning and swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue and throat.”
Sensitive toddlers can also get contact dermatitis from touch or touch.
Casey rated this plant a 2.3.
5. String of Pearls (Curio rowleyanus)
These pretty tendrils are aptly named as they look like a string of green beads hanging from a pot.
Your child may be tempted to pick at the beads and put them in their mouth, but eating them could lead to “milder illnesses like vomiting or diarrhea.”
And contact with the sap can cause skin irritation or a rash, Casey added.