After a month-long delay, New York prosecutors were ready Wednesday to present their case in a jury trial against Jonathan Majors.
However, the trial was postponed a second time because Judge Rachel S. Pauly scheduled the next court date for September 15, a spokesman for the Manhattan District Attorney’s office confirmed to The Times. A firm trial date is expected to be set during the hearing later in September, the prosecutor’s office said.
Majors, who faces assault and harassment charges, appeared virtually before the New York Criminal Court on Wednesday. His attorneys said they found “flaws” in the prosecutor’s certificate of compliance the Hollywood reporter. Such a court record is intended to notify the court and defense that they have produced all of the materials and information found in the investigation of the case.
The majors’ attorneys, Priya Chaudhry and Seth Zuckerman, who appeared in court Wednesday afternoon did not immediately respond to Times requests for comment.
In early August, it was prosecutors who asked for more time as lawyers said they were still in the process of obtaining evidence for the trial, dragging the case into September. Majors appeared at the Aug. 3 hearing with fellow actor and partner Meagan Good at his side.
At the time, Chaudhry, who maintains Majors’ innocence, said in a statement that the actor’s life, career and reputation had been shattered.
“Nevertheless, he remains steadfast in his determination to be acquitted of this cruel ordeal,” the statement continued.
Majors was arrested in March after he called 911 outside of a Manhattan apartment following an alleged “domestic argument” with a 30-year-old woman. The accuser claimed that Majors, 33, slapped her in the face with his open hand, cut open her ear and grabbed her hand. The woman also accused Majors of pushing her into a vehicle, causing her to fall backwards during the altercation.
According to police, she was treated at a hospital for minor injuries to her head and neck.
After his arrest, Majors’ burgeoning career appeared to take a nosedive. He was reportedly banned from his advertising and management companies and also from several future film projects and advertising campaigns. It remains unclear if Marvel will recast his role as Kang the Conqueror, played by Majors in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. The studio was gearing up to make Kang the next supervillain of the current phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And in July, the Majors character starred in a trailer for Season 2 of the Disney+ show Loki.
In June, a Rolling Stone report accused Majors of physically and emotionally abusing another former girlfriend and partner around the time he was a student at Yale University Drama School. The report also alleged that he behaved aggressively toward crew members on the film set and toward drama school classmates.
Majors’ attorney Dustin A. Pusch denied the allegations, saying the Rolling Stone report, which relied on testimony from more than 40 people close to or familiar with Majors, was “entirely based on hearsay ‘ with ‘seriously incorrect’ references.
“Rolling Stone “I embarked on a mission to find out information about Jonathan Majors,” Pusch said in a statement, “to misrepresent him as a violent and abusive black man, dammit.”