Tiger Woods atop PGA Tour’s Player Impact Program yet again

Despite playing just nine rounds in three major championships last season, Tiger Woods has once again claimed the top bonus in the PGA Tour’s Player Impact Program, according to documents obtained by ESPN on Tuesday.

World No. 1 golfer Rory McIlroy let the cat out of the bag on November 8 when he told The Associated Press that he was in the $100 million bonus program designed to reward members who “have shown Generating that, finishing second to Woods, is the most positive interest on the PGA Tour.” Woods, a 15-time major champion, received a $15 million bonus.

Woods, who is expected to compete in the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas next week, raised $8 million for winning the first PIP bonus of 2021. He hasn’t played since making the cut at the 150th Open Championship at St Andrews in July. He is still recovering from injuries sustained in a car accident outside of Los Angeles in February 2021.

A record 23 players received at least $2 million in PIP bonuses this season, including three (Hideki Matsuyama, Cameron Young and Sam Burns) who finished in the top 20 of a modified criteria measurement used by the future tour is used.

McIlroy raised $12 million for second place, followed by Jordan Spieth ($9 million), PGA Championship winner Justin Thomas ($7.5 million) and Jon Rahm ($6 million). Masters champion Scottie Scheffler finished sixth for $5.5 million, followed by Xander Schauffele ($5 million), US Open champion Matt Fitzpatrick ($5 million), Will Zalatoris ($5 million) dollars) and Tony Finau ($5 million).

Players will receive 25% of their PIP bonus in January’s Sentry Tournament of Champions purse payment, according to a memo sent to members of the PGA Tour on Tuesday. The remaining 75% is paid once a player meets three requirements: Plays in a mutually agreed upon PIP tournament; attend a PIP Service event; and meets the mandatory participation requirements.

The original PIP plan used metrics such as a player’s popularity in Google searches, Q Rating, Nielsen Brand Exposure Rating, MVP Index Rating and their Meltwater Mentions, which measure the number of times a player gets coverage across different media platforms generated. The new criteria put more weight on media mentions and TV exposure than social media.

Five players who finished in the top 10 of the first PIP rankings – Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Bryson DeChambeau and Bubba Watson – now play on the LIV Golf Circuit and were not qualified for the program.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/35085636/tiger-woods-atop-pga-tour-player-impact-program-yet-again Tiger Woods atop PGA Tour’s Player Impact Program yet again

Emma Bowman

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button