Tory Lanez’s latest attempt to avoid being sent to a California prison has failed.
The hip-hop star’s request for bail was denied by a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Thursday, a court spokeswoman confirmed. Lanez faces a 10-year prison sentence for shooting rapper Megan Thee Stallion.
The Canadian hip-hop artist, whose legal name is Daystar Peterson, had asked the judge to release him on bail so he can live with his son and wife while he works on his appeal. However, Judge David Herriford denied the request, citing Lanez’s conviction for a violent crime, previous violations of court orders and foreign citizenship as reasons.
According to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department online records, Lanez has been in the Men’s Central Jail since January. It is unclear when he will be transported to state prison.
The “The Color Violet” and “Hurts Me” host grinned at his supporters, including his father and friends from Unite the People–Services Group – the nonprofit he frequently works with – before being taken out of court, tweeted Legal reporter Meghann Cuniffwho was in the courtroom on Thursday.
Outside the courthouse Thursday, a Unite the People attorney for Lanez told reporters that “the judge did not agree with our side” and that “this is just the first step in many trials.” Lanez’s supporters are vowing to appeal the conviction.
“The result of this motion (and case) is a miscarriage of justice. Simply put, Daystar Peterson is a trademark applicant for bail on appeal. “He is not a flight risk, poses virtually no danger to society, and has a strong substantive case on appeal,” L.A. defense attorney Matthew Barhoma, who represents Lanez, said in a statement to the Times.
Barhoma added that Lanez was out on bail for two years while the case was pending “and not much has changed.”
“Therefore, refusing bail at this time is simply not a fair decision. Overall, it feels like a punishment for his celebrity. Because the next defendant will probably get a different sentence and a different result,” he said.
Lanez was sentenced to 10 years in state prison in early August for shooting Megan Thee Stallion in 2020. Megan – real name Megan Pete – was shot in the foot when an alcohol-fuelled argument turned violent after the rappers left a party at Kylie Jenner’s Hollywood Hills house. Lanez denied any wrongdoing.
The 31-year-old was convicted in December of assault with a firearm, illegal possession of a firearm and negligent discharge of a weapon after a dramatic trial in which Megan Thee Stallion testified through tears and a key witness sought immunity shortly before he blocked the prosecution Was standing.
Harriford sent Lanez to Men’s Central Jail after the jury returned its verdict in December, Barhoma added, noting that the rapper has been in solitary confinement since then.
“Again, no other defendant accused of these crimes will receive comparable treatment,” he said.
The hip-hop artist faced a maximum of 22 years and eight months in prison. Although he did not testify during the trial, Lanez addressed the court in August for the first time since his arrest to talk about his religious upbringing and how he had spent his life doing charitable work. He also asked the judge not to punish him too harshly for what he described as a completely out of character moment.
Times staff writer James Queally contributed to this report.