Trump’s lawyers ask judge to keep pause on DOJ investigation

The former president’s lawyers argued that the judge’s ruling, which stifled the Justice Department’s investigation, should stand as a step toward “restoring order.”

WASHINGTON — A criminal investigation into the presence of top-secret information at former President Donald Trump’s Florida home is “getting out of hand,” his attorneys said Monday when they urged a judge to leave in place a directive temporarily suspending core aspects of the judiciary stopped the department’s probe.

The Trump team also referred to the seized documents as “alleged” classified records and indicated that its attorneys do not admit to the Justice Department’s claim that highly sensitive, top-secret documents were found by the FBI in its March 8 search. a Lago. The attorneys also claimed that there is no evidence any of the records were ever released to anyone and that at least some of the documents belong to him and not the Justice Department.

The 21-page filing underscores the significant factual and legal disagreements between attorneys for Trump and the U.S. government as the Justice Department seeks to advance its criminal investigation into the illegal storage of national defense information at Mar-a-Lago and its potential for blocking this probe.

The investigation hit a roadblock last week when U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon granted the Trump team’s request to appoint an independent arbitrator, also known as a special judge, to review the seized records and barred the department from viewing the documents for the time being for investigative purposes.

The Justice Department has asked the judge to lift the ban and said it would appeal her decision in a federal appeals court. The department said its investigation could be irreparably damaged if that order were not overturned, noting that confusion over its scope and significance had already prompted intelligence agencies to pause a separate risk assessment it was conducting.

But Trump’s lawyers said on their own behalf Monday that the order was a “reasonable first step in restoring order out of chaos.” They asked Cannon to leave it where it was.

“This investigation of the 45th President of the United States is both unprecedented and misguided,” they wrote. “In a dispute over document retention that has spiraled out of control, the administration is unjustly seeking to criminalize the 45th President’s possession of his own presidential and personal records.”

Meanwhile, both sides each proposed different names of candidates who could serve in the role of a special master on Friday night, though they disagreed on the person’s exact job description.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/trump-filing-document-search/507-86d0bcce-7d75-4d88-acc0-c0dd9cbecc19 Trump’s lawyers ask judge to keep pause on DOJ investigation

Alley Einstein

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button