THREE people in Britain have fallen ill with a terrifying new disease that is spreading between pets and their owners.
Brucella canis, a bacterial infection, is incurable in puppies and can be transmitted to their human counterparts.
The UKThe security service has confirmed that three Britons have contracted the infection. This is the first case recorded in the UK in years.
The disease has now begun to spread to a small extent– 91 animals were spotted this year alone.
Dr. Christine Middlemiss, senior veterinarian at The Telegraph: “A case in the UK has spread to another dog in the UK. This was done through breeding in kennels.”told
“There’s not much – there’s very little. But this is new for us.”
It is assumed that these are infected peoplein Great Britain had contact with infected Romanian dogs or were descendants of infected dogs.
Human Animal Infections and Risk Surveillance released a report today saying the disease is still considered low risk.
But dog breeders, kennel employees and owners of infected dogs are at higher risk.
In humans, Brucella shows symptoms such as fever, sweats, headaches, back pain and weakness.
Dr. Middlemiss said the government was considering testing requirements for dogs imported from Brucella hotspots.
Brucella in dogs is not always a death sentence, but it will have lifelong consequences.
Some dogs may experience symptoms while others may not experience any symptoms at all.
Most infected dogs become infertile after infectionIllness.
Last month, a vet warned of another dangerous illness to watch out for in your pooch.
Dr. Savageau urged dog owners to “protect your pup” before the disease attacks their immune system.
It’s called Canine Parvovirus – commonly shortened to parvo – and it can be spread through grass, human hands, pet beds and more.
“Canine parvovirus is an extremely contagious disease in dogs that causes weakness, lethargy, vomiting and severe diarrhea, sometimes bloody,” said Dr. Savageau in a TikTok video.
“Puppies are most commonly affected due to their weaker immune systems and require immediate and aggressive treatment by a vet.
“Otherwise, severe dehydration and death can occur.”