DOG owners have been warned not to leave their pooches alone in the kitchen – after a dog required life-saving surgery.
Cocker Spaniel Roman managed to devour an entire ear of corn in one go before his parents could stop him.
He was quickly rushed to the vet, where an x-ray revealed that the offending core stalk was lodged firmly in the pup’s stomach.
Although the corn cob is non-toxic, it is indigestible and can cause constipation, which can be fatal.
Roman’s owner Danielle said: “This is the first time Roman has done this.
“He grabbed the corn and devoured it all in one.”
Jordan Sinclair, from Haven Vets in Hull, managed to get the perpetrator out through a small cut in the stomach.
He stitched up the cocker and Roman has recovered well since then.
But Jordan warns owners to be especially vigilant when dogs are in the kitchen, near barbecue areas, picnic areas or food waste.
He said HullLive: “Corn on the cob can cause choking or most likely constipation in dogs.”
“They get sick and if it gets lodged in the intestines it can cause parts of the intestines to die and affect the blood supply to those areas.”
This can cause the dog to become seriously ill or even die. You must therefore take him to the vet as soon as possible if you suspect that he has swallowed something.