An urgent warning has been sent to parents after students at two schools in the same city were hospitalized after smoking e-cigarettes.
Principals at Mountbatten School and Romsey School, both in Romsey, Hampshire, have warned parents of the dangers of the devices.
The students reportedly suffered from heart palpitations, confusion and seizures as a result of using the e-cigarettes.
According to staff, the devices, which normally contain a flavored nicotine liquid, could be filled with something else.
It is currently being investigated what the young people inhaled.
A letter to parents from both principals, viewed by the Daily EchoIt states: “In the last two weeks there have been a small number of cases where students from both of our communities have required hospital treatment after using e-cigarettes.”
“There is a suspicion that the contents of these e-cigarettes were not what they appeared to be and this is currently being investigated.”
“Students affected showed accelerated heart rates well above normal, confusion, and in one case, loss of consciousness.”
The teachers added that they had received reports from the police of significant anti-social behavior among young people.
It comes after a child collapsed at school Manchester After just one hit of a vape, it was later revealed to be a modified disposable vape pen that allegedly contained CBD oil.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has announced a crackdown on underage vaping amid concerns that manufacturers are targeting children in their marketing.
A former addict told The Sun that he became hooked on e-cigarettes at the age of 11, having been drawn to their colorful packaging and sweet aromas, before developing a smoker’s cough and depression.
The measures include a ban on sellers giving young people free samples of the addictive e-cigarettes.
A recent study found that vaping could put healthy young people at higher risk of serious illness, while several of the devices contained dangerous levels of toxic metals.