Uvalde Shooting Timeline: What We Know About What Happened

It’s unclear what exactly happened between the time a pickup truck crashed outside Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas and his death 90 minutes later. Since Tuesday – when the 18-year-old gunman killed 19 children and two teachers – state and local law enforcement officials have provided a steady stream of conflicting information about the police response to the mass shooting, leaving grieving families and a frustrated public angry and seeking answers.

On Friday, Texas Department of Public Safety director Steve McCraw gave the most detailed account yet of the school shooting, but many questions remain. Most notably, Uvalde Police, Uvalde School District Police and later a tactical unit from the border were all on the scene and yet failed to neutralize the gunman until it was too late. Below is a breakdown of what law enforcement has and hasn’t disclosed.

What happened outside of school?

Texas Department of Public Safety officials said the gunman shot his grandmother in the face and then stole her pickup truck, which he then wrecked in a ditch near the school at 11:28 a.m. local time. The grandmother, Celia Martinez Gonzalez, survived and is in stable condition. The first 911 call from the scene came in at 11:30 a.m. Witnesses say Ramos got out on the passenger side of the truck with a long gun and a bag. TDPS MP Victor Escalon said Thursday that Ramos then shot two witnesses across the street at a funeral home before climbing a fence to get into the school’s parking lot.

McCraw clarified Friday that witnesses approached the truck after it crashed and fled after seeing Ramos firing at them.

Then Ramos started shooting at the school. Officials said earlier this week that an armed school security guard attacked and even shot at Ramos, but Escalon said Thursday that was not the case and that Ramos “was not confronted by anyone” before entering the school through a door. seems” to have been unlocked.

McCraw said Friday the door was left open by a teacher.

An armed school security officer who was not on site responded to the 911 call but drove past Ramos, who McCraw said was “crouched” behind a vehicle in the school parking lot. Escalon said Thursday that Ramos entered the school at 11:40 a.m. and was unable to answer questions about what happened during the apparent 12-minute gap between the vehicle crashing and entering the school.

McCraw said Friday that Ramos actually entered the school at 11:33 a.m.

what happened at school

McCraw said that once Ramos was in school, he fired more than 100 rounds based on audio evidence. Escalon said Ramos “barricaded himself” in a classroom. How exactly Ramos had barricaded himself in the room he could not clarify. McCraw said Friday he just locked the door.

McCraw said three police officers from Uvalde entered the school at 11:35 a.m., two minutes after Ramos entered the school (Escalon said Thursday it was four minutes). They were followed by three other officers and a county sheriff. Two of the first three officers were hit by bullets fired by Ramos through the wall, causing them to retreat.

There was more gunfire and at 11:51 more officers arrived. According to McCraw, there were as many as 19 officers in the hallway just after noon. They did not break down the door, although they continued to hear gunfire from the room, where officials say they believe most, if not all, of the 21 victims were killed.

McCraw noticed that people — including students — were calling 911 from the classroom. A caller at 12:15 p.m. described that eight or nine children were still alive. “Please send the police now,” said another.

It wasn’t until 12:50 that the Border Patrol Tactical Unit (BORTAC) broke through the door and killed Ramos. They asked the caretaker to give them a key.

What were the cops doing?

BORTAC entered the classroom at 12:50 p.m., but they arrived at the scene 35 minutes earlier, at 12:15 p.m., and asked perhaps the most momentous question of the massacre:

Why didn’t they go in earlier?

The New York Times reported on Friday, citing officials briefed on the situation, that Uvalde Police – who were working to secure a perimeter and evacuate people from other parts of the building – prevented BORTAC from entering the school. An official said that Times that BORTAC did not understand why they were asked to wait, nor why BORTAC was called from the border when the Uvalde Police SWAT team could have responded. McCraw said Friday that the SWAT team is only part-time.

McCraw confirmed on Friday that BORTAC was ordered by local police to stand down, with commanding officer on site Uvalde ISD Police Chief Pete Arredondo believing it was “a barricaded subject situation.” The alternative would have been to view it as an active gunner situation, which McCraw says would have required every officer to “go and find out where those rounds are being fired” before securing a perimeter or waiting for reinforcements.

However, it was not considered as such. “Hundreds of rounds were pumped into these two classrooms in four minutes,” McCraw said, believing everyone was dead and at that point Ramos was just trying to stop law enforcement. It’s unclear why this was the case, given the 911 calls detailing the classroom situation and urging police to take action.

“Based on the information we have, there were obviously children in this classroom who were still at risk,” McCraw admitted. “From today’s perspective, where I’m sitting now, it was of course not the right decision. It was the wrong decision. Period.”

Witnesses helped describe a chaotic scene outside the school Bystanders pleading with law enforcement to enter the building and stop the carnage.

“Get in there! Get in there!” Women screamed, according to a witness who spoke to the Associated Press. Javier Cazares, whose daughter Jacklyn was killed, said he suggested others storm the building. “Let’s just storm in because the cops aren’t doing what they’re supposed to,” he said. “We could have done more”

The Wall Street Journal reported that Angeli Rose Gomez was handcuffed because she asked police officers to go to school. She said she convinced someone she knew at Uvalde Police to free her set, after which she jumped a fence, went to school and retrieved her two children. “The police didn’t do anything,” she said loudly diary. “They just stood in front of the fence. They didn’t go in or run anywhere.”

McCraw said Friday it was a mistake by law enforcement not to take the shooter. Lieutenant Chris Oliverez of the TDPS defended the decision Thursday on CNN, arguing that officials couldn’t move Ramos because they didn’t know exactly where he was in the school. “They could have been shot,” he said of the officers. “They could have been killed.”

Instead, 21 people were killed, including 19 children.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/uvalde-shooting-what-happened-timeline-1359915/ Uvalde Shooting Timeline: What We Know About What Happened

Emma James

USTimesPost.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@ustimespost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button