VETS warn dog owners about a plant that could kill after a puppy nearly died from inhaling it on a walk.
Dog lovers are being urged to keep an eye on their pet as we approach the summer months and grass seeds are becoming more common.
The harmful elements are small, pointed seeds that cling to the tips of long blades of grass.
They become more of a risk to man’s best friend when the weather improves and walks through the fields become regular.
They are also often found in meadows and wooded areas.
Grass seeds are a big problem for dogs because they can be easily brushed into their coats while walking.
It comes after a puppy nearly died and required extensive surgery.
Arlo, one, had to undergo chest and abdominal surgeries to remove a large quantity of the seeds after coming into contact with them while out for a walk.
After falling seriously ill, a vet discovered that Arlo had a large abscess caused by the plant matter.
This was told by his owner Tina Clark from Chippenham Wiltshire Times She feared for her furry friend’s life.
She said: “When I first received the diagnosis I was devastated.
“I was heartbroken. Arlo was so young and I was afraid I would lose him.”
Arlo has now made a full recovery from the horrific ordeal.
It’s best to check your pup’s coat and hose it down after a sunny walk.
Veterinarian Ines said: “We would always urge dog owners to be aware of the risks of grass seed when walking their dogs.
“It can be common for dogs to breathe in grass seed, but if a dog starts coughing shortly after walking through fields and meadows, we recommend owners take them to their veterinarian for a check-up.”