VETS is warning dog owners about a potentially fatal plant after a puppy nearly died from inhaling it while walking.
Dog lovers are being urged to keep an eye on their pets as we approach the summer months and grass seeds become more popular.
Pests are small, pointed seeds attached to the tops of long grass stalks.
They are more likely to become a risk to man’s best friend as the weather improves and field walks become more frequent.
They are also commonly found in grasslands and wooded areas.
Grass seeds are a big problem for dogs because they can be easily brushed against their fur while walking.
It comes after a puppy nearly died and needed extensive surgery.
Arlo, one, had to have chest and abdominal surgery to remove a large amount of the seeds after coming into contact with them while walking.
After becoming seriously ill, a veterinarian discovered Arlo had a large abscess caused by plant matter.
Its owner, Tina Clark, from Chippenham, says WiltshireTimes She fears for the life of her furry friend.
She said: “When I first received the diagnosis, I was devastated.
“I’m heartbroken. Arlo is too young and I’m worried I might lose my baby.”
Arlo has now made a full recovery from the horrific ordeal.
The best thing to do is to check your puppy’s coat after a walk in the sun and spray them with water.
Veterinarian Ines said: “We always urge dog owners to be aware of the risks of grass seeds when walking their dogs.
“Dogs can inhale grass seeds but if dogs start coughing soon after running through fields and pastures, we encourage owners to take them to the vet for a preventive checkup.”