What California roads and freeways are closed by winter storm?
As a winter storm continued to pound California on Friday, several major freeways and roads were closed due to the weather, including portions of Interstate 5.
The weather system, which is expected to continue through Saturday, has created dangerous driving conditions for residents of the mountainous regions.
These are the roads and highways in Southern California that will be closed due to the storm:
- Interstate 5 was closed in both directions through the Tejon Pass Friday morning, according to the California Highway Patrol and Caltrans. Officials advised drivers to use US 101 instead.
- Palmdale’s Highway 138 between Highway 14 and the 5 was temporarily closed due to snow falling at low elevations.
- Highway 2, the Angeles Crest Highway, is closed from 3.3 miles east of Newcomb’s Ranch to the Big Pines Highway west of Wrightwood. Snow chains are required from the gate at La Cañada Flintridge and Wrightwood.
- Highway 33 was closed from north of Matilija Hot Springs Road to Lockwood Valley Road north of Ojai, Ventura County.
- Highway 58 was closed in both directions through Tehachapi Pass from Towerline Road east of Bakersfield to exit 165 north of Mojave.
Major highways were also closed in Northern California due to the onslaught of rain and snow:
- Highway 17 was closed at Granite Creek Road and Bear Creek Road in Santa Cruz County due to fallen trees. Caltrans advised drivers to avoid the area and use alternative routes.
- Highway 29 between Tubbs Lane in Calistoga and near the Napa/Lake county line was closed.
- Highway 128 west of Winters in Yolo County was closed due to snow. Traffic was diverted onto Pleasants Valley Road.
- Highway 20 was closed between E Street in Williams and the Lake County Line.
- To the south, Highway 16 was closed from the intersection with Highway 20 south to Rumsey.
- Highway 32 was closed from 11 miles east of Forest Ranch on Humboldt Road in Butte County to the intersection of Highway 36 in Tehama County.
- Highway 80 was closed in both directions from Colfax to the Nevada state line.
- Highway 49 was closed in both directions from Downieville to Sattley in Sierra County.
- Highway 89 has been closed from Eagle Lake Campground to Bliss State Park in El Dorado County.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-24/california-winter-storm-roads-freeways-closed-list What California roads and freeways are closed by winter storm?