Who was Ian Brady and how did he die? – The Scottish Sun

IAN Brady never showed any remorse for his terrible crimes until his death aged 79.

In 1966, the monster was convicted of murdering children alongside his twisted girlfriend Myra Hindley. But who was Ian Brady and how did he die?


Photo credit: PA:Press Association

Who was Ian Brady?

Ian Brady was born in Glasgow in 1938 and attended Shawlands Academy – a school for gifted students.

He was neglected by his mother and raised by foster parents in the Gorbals – one of Glasgow’s toughest slums.

After a series of petty teenage crimes, the courts sent him to Manchester to live with his mother and her new husband Patrick Brady.

Ian took his stepfather’s name, continued his criminal activities and became an alcoholic as a teenager.

He pursued new interests to “improve himself” and built a library of books on Nazi Germany, sadism and sexual perversion.


Brady met Myra Hindley when she was working as a saleswoman – she worked as a secretary at the same Manchester-based company.

It was love at first sight and Brady impressed her by reading “Mein Kampf” in the original German.

Who were Ian Brady’s victims?

On July 12, 1963, Brady told Hindley he wanted to “commit his perfect murder.”

Hindley often lured the child victims before driving them to Saddleworth Moor or the couple’s home.

Brady would then kill them, often by cutting their throats or strangling them.

Four of the five victims were sexually abused and murdered.

  • Pauline Reade, 16
  • John Kilbride, 12
  • Keith Bennett, 12
  • Lesley Ann Downey, 10
  • Edward Evans, 17

How did Ian Brady get caught?

On October 6, 1965, the murderer invited Myra’s brother-in-law and friend David Smith to his home.

Brady murdered Edward Evans – hitting him fourteen times with a hatchet before finally strangling him – while Smith watched in horror.

Under the guise of helping them hide the body, Smith left, called the police the next morning and directed them to Brady’s address.

In his statement to police he said: “He was lying with his head and shoulders on the couch and his legs were on the floor. He looked up.”

“Ian stood over him, facing him, with his legs on either side of the young lad’s legs.

“The boy was still screaming…Ian had a hatchet in his hand…he held it above his head and hit the boy on the left side of his head with the hatchet.

“I heard the blow, it was a terribly hard blow, it sounded terrible.”

On October 7, 1965, Superintendent Bob Talbot of Cheshire Police arrived at the back door of 16 Wardle Brook Avenue and told Hindley he wanted to speak to her friend.

The couple allowed police to look around, but when they reached the guest room where Edward’s body lay, the door was locked.

Brady told Hindley to hand over the key and police entered the room and found Edward’s body wrapped in plastic.

The bloody murder weapon was also recovered, along with Brady’s collection of books on perversion and sadism.

He admitted arguing with Edward after he was arrested on suspicion of murder, but insisted Smith had helped him.

Four days later, a further search of Brady’s flat revealed two left-luggage tickets for Manchester Central Station, which led police to two suitcases.

In one, they found images of Lesley Ann Downey naked with a scarf tied around her mouth, as well as a tape recording of her final moments pleading for her life while being brutally tortured and abused.

A number of snapshots were also discovered showing random sections of Saddleworth Moor, and a school notebook with John Kilbride’s name scrawled on it led police to suspect that Brady and Hindley were involved in the unsolved disappearances.

A major search operation involving 150 officers was launched on October 16, during which police found Lesley Ann’s arm bone sticking out of the ground.

Five days later they discovered Kilbride’s badly decomposed body.

Police announced they would open files on eight missing people who disappeared in the past four years. However, no new charges were brought against the couple until their trial.

How long was Ian Brady in prison?

On May 6, 1966, both defendants were convicted of the murders of Edward Evans and Lesley Ann Downey.

Brady was also convicted of the murder of John Kilbride, while Myra Hindley was subsequently convicted of accessory after the fact.

Brady received concurrent life sentences on both counts, while Hindley received two life sentences plus seven years in the Kilbride case.

The depraved murderer was Britain’s longest-serving offender and lived under constant suicide watch at Ashworth Hospital for 31 years.

In 1985 he was declared mentally ill and transferred to the maximum security hospital in Merseyside.

Brady had been on hunger strike since 1999 and was kept alive by force-feeding him a liquid formula.

Killer Brady refused to ever reveal where little Keith Bennett’s body was buried.

However, it emerged that he had told a psychiatrist that he had left clues for the police to find.

He claims to have left a ladle in a stream near the burial site, but died before his secret could ever be revealed.

On September 21, 2017, it was reported that Brady’s trove of letters and cards could soon be published.

In his secret collection he kept notes, maps and pictures of Saddleworth Moor that could point to Keith’s grave.

New letters have been released in a Channel 4 documentary featuring correspondence with former pop star Janie Jones.

How did Ian Brady die?

Ian Brady died on May 15, 2017, with the killer’s time of death believed to be just before 6pm.

An autopsy revealed his official cause of death was cor pulmonale and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Coroner Christopher Sumner said Brady’s body would not be released until assurances had been given that his ashes would not be scattered on Saddleworth Moor.

His body will be disposed of “without music and without ceremony,” a Supreme Court judge ruled.

It turned out he was dying of an incurable lung and chest disease and had been bedridden for two years.

He received end-of-life care from nurses who care for terminal cancer patients.

Brady had been asked to reveal where Keith Bennett’s body was buried.

But in a final insult to the victim’s family, he reportedly refused to show any remorse for his crimes, even hours before his death.

Brady’s own lawyer Robin Makin said he would be “very surprised” if the killer left any useful information about where Keith’s body was hidden, telling BBC Radio 4: “He went to the Moors a long time ago and I suspect “That would have been the case.” There would have been information for him to provide if he had then provided it.”

He said he had no information to help find Keith and instead said he had discussed Brady’s legal wishes and funeral arrangements, with the killer knowing his death was “imminent.”

Police have also vowed not to close the case after Keith’s death, saying Brady’s death would not change that fact.

In the early hours of November 2, 2017, Brady’s ashes were scattered in the Irish Sea at a secret location off the coast of Liverpool.

Edmuns DeMars

Edmund DeMarche is a USTimesPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Edmund DeMarche joined USTimesPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing edmund@ustimespost.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button